df reports root fs as by-uuid symlink instead of actual device

I recently noticed my updated debian install (7.4 Wheezy) was displaying the root file system as /dev/disk/by-uuid/aa89d2a0-12cc-4378-b3be-7788999529a2 instead of by device and partition ID (/dev/sda3 in my case)

I found this solution at
http://blog.mbentley.net/2013/09/df-reports-root-fs-as-by-uuid-symlink-instead-of-actual-device/
Which references a solution at
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=25901
Continue reading “df reports root fs as by-uuid symlink instead of actual device”

Kudos to Lego

Back in 2007 I noticed a super deal on a Lego Christmas Train that they were phasing out, I bought one for future use come Christmas time. I have tried to put it together a few times, but always got lost when it came to fitting a certain couple of pieces in their set location. I pulled it out again in early December to put together for our decorating spree and once again was reminded why I had not finished putting it together. After a while of just not location the 1×2 red flat brick I decided I would visit their website and try to determine if I could order the missing pieces.
Continue reading “Kudos to Lego”

Upgrading Debian 3.1 (Sarge) from an IBM Thinkpad 390E on a 4GB 2.5” IDE/PATA Hard Drive to Dell Vostro Core 2 Duo on a 320 GB SATA Drive

This machine was initially setup using the Debian 2.2 potato release and was upgraded using the dist-upgrade method and changing the sources to point to the current release at the time. This method was used to upgrade from 2.2 (potato) to 3.0 (woody) then to 3.1 (sarge). Then the server was left to it’s own devices with updates run every week or two until sarge was no longer supported. I just didn’t have the time nor inclination to fix it. I turned it off in October 2010 when I heard the hard drive whining.

Continue reading “Upgrading Debian 3.1 (Sarge) from an IBM Thinkpad 390E on a 4GB 2.5” IDE/PATA Hard Drive to Dell Vostro Core 2 Duo on a 320 GB SATA Drive”